Monday, June 11, 2012

Surround Me Oh Lord


Devotional Text: Psalm 3:1-8

Summarizing Thoughts:
The Lord is aware when people come against me and attack me physically, verbally and/or emotionally in an attempt to kill my spirit, destroy my reputation and cause me to question my relationship with God. They may even deny God's power to protect me and discourage any attempts to daily make progress in my walk with God. But the Lord is my shield and His power, authority and influence circles me on all sides - meaning my ears are protected from the harsh words and criticisms of others, my heart is protected from becoming overwhelmed with all forces of negativity, my feet are protected from obstacles that may try to trip me up, my hands are kept from reaching out to other sources of help that will not be as successful, my mouth is guarded from speaking evil to those who attack me or speaking doubts when I am afraid, my eyes are guarded from seeing fully the scale of attack that is set up against me and every trial I will have to face, and my mind is safe and assured of God's peace and grace to sustain me through the trial.

The Lord is my glory - the highest treasure I own, my honor and greatest achievement I can obtain! It is He who keeps my head raised high above my problems, positioning my face to only look up at Him, the source of my help. I can cry out to him in my pain and distress and He actually hears me and answers me. This gives me courage and comfort to know that He has heard my cry and is fully aware of those things that concern me. Since He has everything under control, I do the only thing left to do - I go to sleep and get the rest I need for the next day - He has it from here! The light of the new day doesn't bring me stress. I awake fully refreshed, basking in the peace of God! The grace He extended the day before continues to sustain me!

There is no need to stress about the problems and situations that seem to surround me because God still surrounds me. In the midst of my turmoil, Lord, stand tall! Show that you are bigger than all the chaos around me. Bring me through it all with victory! It is the Lord who has insulted the critics around me and put them to shame. In their humiliation, they are without words - words to criticize, discourage, ridicule or mock me. They are completely embarrassed and exposed! Victory belongs to You, Lord! Bless all who bare Your name with this same provision of grace!

Personal Application: It is never a good feeling to have someone ridicule me for trusting in the Lord. When I am the most discouraged I should take my concerns to the Lord. He already knows them anyway, but He might just want me to take the time to share them with him - just like a child who shares a concern with a loving parent who is already aware of the conflicts. He knows how to handle every situation and even knows the hearts and intents of my attackers. My only job is to trust in His ability and wisdom. When I go to Him in prayer about a situation I should leave it alone from that point forward. I should be able to go about my day as if there wasn't a problem because I trust He is working it out for me! Others who are aware of my situation will be watching and I want my life to be a testimony of God's good graces to those who love and serve Him.

Prayer Focus:
Faith that God hears me when I pray.
Guard my mouth, heart and mind.
Respond in a Christian manner to my attackers.
Offer praise to God no matter my circumstance.
Practice a hands-off policy when I turn something over to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment